Sunday 30 January 2011

Music to my Ears

Just a quick post this time on the subject of music and inspiration.



When it comes to my own writing I spend time working out what music best fits the writing - almost as if the story is a movie. This helps me to get 'in the zone'. When I wrote a hypertext piece, it worked even better, because I was able to have the music play while you read:https://sites.google.com/site/minusearth1/ .

(There is also a short but informative article here:http://www.suite101.com/content/inspiring-yourself-to-write-a102140  )

The article talks more from the perspective of dealing with writer's block, but there are other things hinted at like using music to control the tone or mood of a piece of writing. In my own case, I like to use orchestral music for space exploration SF, Cyber/industrial for my cyberpunk stories and folk metal/folk for writing fantasy.

I suppose it would be a worthy experiment to deliberately play inapropriate music and see what effect it has. I know that in my case it disturbs the flow and will innevitably put me off writing the piece, but each to their own. Happy writing, people!

1 comment:

  1. I do this exact same thing... i have nearly a month's worth of music on my hard drive and spend hours setting up playlists for specific moods.

    I find movie and TV soundtracks to be the best as they are composed for visual accompaniement and my mind just fills in the missing pictures.

    ReplyDelete